Hello all! It is the holidays season, here in Israel we are celebrating Hanukkah and all over the world is X-mas and New year just soon! Best wishes for all of you my fellows. Hope you are all well and having great time.
Great things happen in space just as usual and without any further delay let's move on to the #384 edition of Carnival of Space
I am doing quite well with 3 dimensions, I can think about the 4th, but a A Universe of 10 Dimensions? Well, yes according to Universe Today which sends us the story of A Martian Blue Snake, Brought To You By Canadians And A Spacecraft as well. Mysterious? Just follow the link and see.
First findings from Rosetta: Rosetta mission results point to a non-cometary origin for Earth's water. (Space Writer) Great to know that the mission already gives important scientific data.
EveryDaySpacer wants us to be happy so she offers From now until December 24, 2014, you have a chance to win The Year in Space Wall Calendar 2015. Way to go!! Thanks!
Cosmoquest continues with the fourth part in our blog series of the results from the first MoonMappers citizen science paper... where it's all about location.
And some more stories from NextBig Future:
- A seed ship is an interstellar spacecraft which is able to transport embryos or gametes over long distances. In order to keep them save and healthy it acts most of its flight like a huge fridge, because the unborn humans can only survive such long travel times in a frozen state. Close to the target system this “fridge” is transformed into some kind of brood chamber. Next the chamber begins to grow up the gametes or embryos to babies. After a few years when they have become older, the settlement can start. The two main questions that appear in this scenario are about transportation and how to parent and educate the children. A primary requirement for the freezing options is that there must be some kind of artificial uterus to grow the embryos or gametes [or adult women for implantation]. This capability is technically feasible in the next 10-30 years. Artificial wombs have been used for sharks and mice. Robotic teaching and nanny AI would need to be proven on earth before any interstellar mission usage
- Ascension is inspired by the real-life Project Orion that existed under the administration of President John F. Kennedy. The show sets up an alternate version of reality in which, in 1963, President Kennedy and the U.S. government, fearing the Cold War will become hot and lead to the destruction of the Earth, decided to launch a covert space mission. They sent 600 men, women and children into space on a century-long voyage aboard the USS Ascension, a massive, self-sustaining generation ship. Their mission is to colonize Proxima Centauri, assuring the survival of the human race. We look at the Freeman Dyson's specifications for an interstellar version of Project Orion.
- If you sent an interstellar generation ship in 1963 then your computer development would be frozen. We look at the computers of 1963. Also, we see that an interstellar orion would need ten times the number of nuclear bombs as were ever built by the USA.
- There are other challenges for an interstellar generationship than just the propulsion. The ecosystem problems have not been solved
- During the Dec. 16 launch from Florida's Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, which will send SpaceX's robotic Dragon capsule toward the orbiting lab, Spacex will try to bring the first stage of its Falcon 9 rocket back to Earth for a controlled landing on a floating platform in the Atlantic Ocean. The platform base is 300 ft by 100 ft, with wings that extend width to 170 ft. It will allow refuel and rocket flyback in future
And from the Meridian Journal we hear about Curiosity finds new evidence Gale crater was once a large lake
I will finish with just a photo of sundials stamps which were issued TODAY in Israel, I was a consultant for this series and I will share the whole story soon, so far just enjoy the first day envelope with 3 great sundials from Israel (Here is an article about many sundials in Israel)
|Sundials in Israel - First day envelope|